This week is National Truck Driver Appreciation Week, organized in part by the American Trucking Association (ATA). This is a good week to appreciate the safe truckers on our roads – the truck drivers who work to help prevent Florida car accidents and truck accidents by driving safely and responsibly. Events have been held by trucking associations in every state to mark the week.
In celebration of National Truck Driver Appreciation Week, the ATA has released some fascinating facts and statistics about our nation’s truckers:
1) In America, there are over 3.4 million professional truckers at work, driving more than 431 billion miles on our streets.
2) In 2008, truck drivers delivered 68.8% of the total US freight, which is about 10.2 billion tons of freight.
3) The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that trucking accidents have decreased by 20% between 2008 and 2009 and fatal truck accidents are at an all-time low after declining four years in a row. While Florida trucking accident rates do tend to be higher than the national average in some years, the overall downward trend is certainly good news.
4) Fatality rates for truck occupants decreased 26% in 2009. New laws may be helping, according to some industry experts. Since 2004, when Hours of Service regulations were introduced, the overall fatalities in truck-related accidents has decreased 33%.
5) Truck drivers drive long distances. Regional truck drivers drive 48, 000 miles per year and long haul drivers drive an average of 100, 000 to 110, 000 miles per year.
While many truck drivers do their best to keep our streets safe, there are still accidents on our streets. If you have been injured in a Florida trucking accident, contact the Flaxman Law Group for compassionate, experienced representation and legal advice. We can help you understand your options so that you can make an informed decision about your case. The Flaxman Law Group is proud to have offices in Hollywood, Homestead, and Miami, Florida to better serve our personal injury clients in these communities and in communities across Southern Florida.