According to Brainline.org, an American suffers a traumatic brain injury every 21 seconds. One-third of these injuries are caused by falls while 17.3% are caused by traffic accidents. Truck accidents are a common cause of Miami Beach brain injuries, since the size and force of a commercial truck can easily cause serious damage to a smaller vehicle, causing serious injuries for everyone inside the vehicle. There are many ways to prevent serious injuries caused by a Miami Beach truck accident:
1) Wear your seat belt. A seatbelt is one of the simplest and best ways to prevent a Miami Beach brain injury after a traffic accident. Your seatbelt keeps you in place and prevents your head from coming into sharp contact with your dashboard or other objects inside the car. A seatbelt also prevents you from being ejected from the vehicle, preventing serious injury. If you’re traveling with a child, make sure that the child is seated in the back and is using an age-appropriate child safety restraint.
2) Keep your car in good condition. Make sure that your car is in good condition so that it responds correctly if you need to move suddenly in order to avoid a Miami Beach traffic accident. Make sure that airbags and other safety systems work correctly. These safety systems are designed to help prevent serious injuries in the event of an accident.
3) Buy the best quality car you can afford, with the best safety features. The safety performance of cars varies widely. Buy the best quality of car that you can afford, and be sure to ask about safety features as well safety performance extensively before making a final purchase. A quality car with good safety features can help keep you a little safer in a car accident.
4) Give trucks more room. Trucks require more room to stop and some types of trucks – including delivery trucks and waste disposal trucks – make frequent stops. Giving trucks additional room ensures that if the truck brakes suddenly you have room to stop. Trucks also take longer to break, which is another reason why you want to give trucks a little more distance. Another important reason for giving trucks more space is because drivers of commercial vehicles often have multiple blind spots. They may simply not be able to see you if you follow too closely.
5) Hone your driving skills. Taking defensive driving classes or refreshing your driving skills periodically helps ensure that you have the best driving skills possible so that you can avert an accident and drive safely in all sorts of conditions. In many cases, additional training may be able to ensure a better insurance rate as well.
6) Drive defensively.
7) Stay focused on driving. Distracted driving is one of the leading causes of Miami Beach car accidents, and is also one of the most preventable reasons for car accidents. Put away mobile devices whenever you step in your car and keep your entire focus on driving. This helps keep everyone on the roads safer.
If you are in a Miami Beach car accident involving a truck, your first priority should be to get medical attention. If you have hit your head, especially, you will want to get prompt medical attention. Even if you have no immediate symptoms, some brain injuries – even serious and fatal injuries – to not immediately manifest symptoms. It is always better to err on the side of caution and get a medical evaluation if you have hit your head. If you have lost consciousness, have a serious headache, or have vision problems, call emergency personnel. The sooner you can get a proper diagnosis and treatment, the better your chances of recovery are.
If you have sustained any injury after a Miami Beach car accident, contact the Flaxman Law Group for quick and experienced legal advice and assistance. The compassionate and experienced legal team at the Flaxman Law Group is pleased to offer free, no obligation consultations for all new clients.