If you have been injured in a Homestead truck accident, you may not only want to focus on healing, but you may also become interested in advocacy. Many survivors of serious Homestead traffic accidents find that advocacy is an important part of the healing process and helps them seek changes that can help prevent similar accidents in the future. Whether you are a Homestead head injury patient, burn patient, or have sustained another type of injury, there are many things you can do:
1) Educate yourself about the issues and safety concerns affecting the risk of traffic accidents. Finding out what caused the Homestead truck accident that caused your injuries can be important, since the same issues may cause multiple Homestead car accidents and truck accidents. Drunk driving, speeding, rule violates, fatigued and distracted driving are all known dangers yet drivers continue to make poor choices when it comes to these hazards. When enough victims step forward about these issues, however, real change is possible.
2) Join and volunteer with an organization dedicated to advocacy and truck safety. Groups such as the Truck Safety Coalition and others aim to raise awareness and change laws so that tragedy can be prevented. These groups are often eager for volunteers and can suggest many things that you can do to help the cause. To find advocacy groups, you may wish to speak to your attorney, support group, or research online.
3) Write to your elected representative. If your accident was caused by a common problem – such as speeding, distracted driving, or other issues – write to your elected representative. Succinctly explain your story and request specific changes to be made that can help prevent similar Homestead truck crashes in the future. For example, if your accident was caused by a distracted driver, considering asking your elected representative to sponsor or support legislation which would ban texting and driving in Florida.
4) Follow up with and meet with your elected representatives. Politicians receive many emails and letters per day. Following up with an appointment or another letter shows that you are serious about the issue. You may also consider setting up a petition about a safety issue. When politicians see that voters are passionate about a topic, they are more likely to pay attention.
5) If you have been injured in a Homestead traffic accident, work with a Homestead personal injury attorney to get answers and to hold responsible parties liable. An experienced attorney can help you find out what caused an accident and can help you determine what steps to take after an accident. Deciding to pursue a legal claim can also help bring about important safety changes. Legal claims shine a spotlight on problem safety measures and in many cases truck companies agree to safety changes as well as compensation as part of out-of-court settlements. Holding a responsible party liable can help that company make changes that can prevent another accident.
Have you been injured in a Homestead truck accident? The Flaxman Law Group has more than 25 years of experience in traffic cases and personal injury claims. The Flaxman Law Group is also pleased to offer a free, no obligation consultation to all new clients.