After a North Miami Beach truck accident, time is of the essence. The things that you do immediately following an accident can determine your ability to claim fair compensation and pursue a legal case. Immediately following a North Miami Beach traffic accident, you will of course want to offer assistance to anyone who is injured at the scene and to get medical help immediately if needed. If the accident is serious, you will generally also need to contact authorities. Beyond that, however, there are several things you want to do in order to preserve your rights:
1) Be wary of what you sign or say. In general, try to say as little as possible and stick to the facts, even if an insurance investigator tells you that your comments will not be “on the record.” If an insurance company investigator contacts you, you have the right to tell them that you cannot speak at the current time and you can ask them to communicate with you via letter. In general, you should say as little as possible and sign nothing until you contact a North Miami Beach attorney. Your attorney can advise you as to what you should not say and what you should not sign in order to safeguard your rights.
2) Contact the investigating authority and get a copy of the police report if you can. Look for any discrepancies between what you remember and what is written down. You can also ask the investigating authority about victim assistance and advocacy programs as well as any criminal charges in the investigation.
3) Preserve as much documented evidence as possible. This may mean taking down information at the scene of the accident or as soon as you are able to. It may mean taking photos at the scene and photos of your injuries or sending the trucking company a registered “spoliation letter” asking them to keep specific evidence – such as the truck’s computer or the log book – related to the crash. Keep receipts of any expenses related to your accident – such as cab fare home from the hospital, a tally of work hours lost, medication or medical expenses, and other costs.
4) Get medical attention – even if you walked away from the crash. Some types of injuries – including potentially fatal North Miami Beach head injuries – may not show symptoms right away. Even if you think you’re fine after an accident, it is important to get medical attention. Go to a walk in clinic or visit your regular physician to get a full checkup. If you have soft tissue injuries or other injuries which are caused by the accident but which may not have produced symptoms immediately, it is important to document this and to get treatment right away. Getting prompt medical attention also allows you to start documenting the evidence of your injuries right away.
5) Hire an experienced personal injury attorney. If you think that your accident and injuries were caused by recklessness or negligence, it is important to consult with a North Miami Beach personal injury attorney as quickly as possible after your accident. Keep in mind that many personal injury attorneys will even visit your hospital room or your home if you are seriously injured and not able to visit a lawyer in person. In truck accidents, trucks are represented by powerful insurance companies. If you wish to pursue a legal claim or compensation, it is important to get legal advice immediately – before you inadvertently sign away any rights. Hiring an attorney immediately also allows your attorney to secure evidence which may be important in your case.
If you have been injured in a North Miami Beach truck accident, contact a personal injury attorney right away. Your ability to get fair compensation could depend upon it. The Flaxman Law Group is a full-service law firm offering decades of experience as well as numerous resources to help build your case.