Miami Beach is a great city to explore on foot. Unfortunately, like many South Florida cities, Miami Beach sees its fair share of serious pedestrian accidents. These accidents are especially tragic when they involve light trucks and commercial trucks, since the pedestrian has no chance at all against these larger vehicles. The higher bumpers often mean permanent or fatal injuries to the head and abdomen area. If you are driving a truck in Miami Beach, you need to be aware that tourists and pedestrians frequently walk around the community. You can help prevent pedestrian accidents in Miami Beach by:
1) Staying well away from pedestrians when driving. Florida law requires vehicles to stay three feet from bicyclists and pedestrians. Providing extra room ensures that even if a pedestrian makes a move you are not anticipating, you will be less likely to strike the pedestrian.
2) Not driving distracted. One of the leading causes of truck and car accidents in Miami Beach and other South Florida cities is distracted driving. Distracted driving is especially a concern in terms of pedestrian accidents because in many of these accidents a driver simply did not see a pedestrian in time to avoid a collision. Taking your eyes off the road, hands off the wheel, or your mind off of driving for even a few seconds is enough of a distraction to cause a serious car or truck accident in Miami Beach or your community. When driving, make sure to keep your full focus on the road.
3) Staying sober behind the wheel. Prescription drugs, some over-the-counter drugs, and illegal drugs and alcohol all can impair your judgment and your motor skills, putting you at risk of an accident. Drunk driving accidents in Miami Beach and other communities claim far too many lives each year. Don’t become part of that statistic. If you are not sober, find an alternative route home.
4) Using your eyes to look ahead to anticipate traffic – including pedestrian traffic. In many cases, pedestrians emerge from between cars or may cross outside of regular crosswalks. Always scan the sides of the road as well as the road itself in front of you, so that you can see any pedestrians who may be trying to cross the road. Use extra caution when approaching school areas, parks, playgrounds, and other areas where pedestrians may unexpectedly emerge.
5) Taking fender benders and near-misses seriously. These can be a serious sign that you need to upgrade your driving skills or that you need to speak with your doctor about your driving ability. Near accidents can be an indication that you need a little help to drive safely.
6) Getting a rear-view camera and display that lets you see behind the truck. These devices can even come with GPS systems, so that you can get help finding your destination while also being able to see behind your car when you back up. These devices are useful in helping you to prevent back over accidents in Miami Beach or your community.
If you have been injured in a truck accident or pedestrian accident in Miami Beach or your community, contact the Flaxman Law Group to arrange for a free consultation to discuss your case. The Flaxman Law Group is a full-service law firm. The legal staff has worked on thousands of pedestrian accident and personal injury cases in Miami Beach and across South Florida over the past 25 years.