Being involved in a car or truck accident in Hollywood or your Florida community is terrifying, but it is important to take a few simple precautions right away to protect yourself:
1) Contact the police and get a copy of the police report. The police investigate any serious truck or car accident in Hollywood or Florida that may have been caused by a wrongful act or has resulted in serious injury. It is important to contact police because they can get to the scene very quickly, document evidence, and start an investigation. The police report can contain important information about the accident and the causes behind it.
2) Exchange information but do not accept blame for the accident. Be very cautious about what you say at the scene of a traffic accident in Hollywood or anywhere in Florida. Even something as simple as saying “I’m sorry” can be construed as taking blame for an accident. When speaking to others after the accident, exchange information but stick to just speaking about the facts. Say as little as possible after an accident.
3) Seek medical attention at once. Even if you do not appear to be injured, get medical help as soon as possible. Some injuries – including serious head injuries and soft tissue injuries – do not present symptoms right away and it can be harder to prove that your injuries were caused by your traffic accident if you wait too long to get medical help. Delaying medical help can also pose a serious risk. Each year, head injury patients in Hollywood and Florida suffer complications or even sustain fatal injuries because they do not seek medical help in time.
4) Contact a personal injury attorney. Truck accidents tend to be complex situations, with multiple liable parties involved. In addition, the injuries sustained in these types of accidents tend to be serious. Speaking with an attorney who specializes in personal injury in Hollywood or South Florida can help you understand your rights and the likely total costs of your injuries.
5) Contact your insurance company. File a claim as soon as possible after your accident. Keep in mind, however, that the amount your insurance company offers is not written in stone. You may wish to consult with a personal injury attorney to determine what your injury-related long term costs may be.
If you have been injured in a truck accident in Hollywood or any other South Florida community, feel free to contact the Flaxman Law Group at any time for a free, no obligation consultation. Whether you want legal advice, are seeking to launch a legal claim, or want help negotiating with your insurance provider, the Flaxman Law Group is a full-service law firm with many resources in place to help truck accident and personal injury victims. The Flaxman Law Group legal staff has been part of the Hollywood community for decades and has already helped thousands of truck accident and personal injury sufferers across South Florida. Contact the law firm today for a free case evaluation.