During the summer, many families head out to Miami Beach and other Florida communities for a road trip. Southern Florida is an ideal place for this type of trip, since the coast is beautiful and the entire area is filled with unique communities and tourist attractions to explore. If you are headed to the area, you will want to take steps to ensure that a car or truck accident in Miami Beach or another community does not ruin your vacation:
1) Plan your trip carefully. A successful trip is a well-planned trip. You do not want to risk a rear-end accident in Miami Beach or another community because you are making frequent stops because you are lost. Plan your route and map your route before you go. Decide where you will stop and mark rest stops, restaurants, and hotels on your way so that you know where you can stop. Check road conditions and weather conditions before you go as well, so that you are prepared.
2) Take frequent breaks. Driving too long is unpleasant and can make you tired, which can cause you to make mistakes that can lead to a collision. Schedule regular stops into your trip and use these to drink water, get a snack, and stretch your legs.
3) Carefully consider your car before going on your trip. Make sure that it is in good mechanical condition and ready to drive. If you are sharing the road with commercial trucks, especially, you may need to make sudden maneuvers to avoid a crash. Make sure your car can handle various driving conditions.
4) Assign a co-pilot. If possible, travel with someone who can check maps, look out for road signs, and handle any mobile devices. This way, you can put your entire focus on driving. Many traffic accidents in Miami Beach and across the country are caused by distraction, and you can help prevent this type of accident by having another passenger take care of everything but driving, so that you can concentrate on the road.
5) Take turns driving. If possible, have someone else drive some of the time. This will allow you to see more and will help prevent fatigue and distraction behind the wheel, keeping you safer on the road.
6) Prepare yourself physically for the trip. Driving is physically and mentally tiring. Before your trip, get a good night’s rest and be sure that you are physically in good condition and well-nourished. Eat healthy snacks and drink plenty of water on the trip. Try to get a little exercise when you make stops.
7) Avoid road dangers. Do not drink and drive or try to drive when you are sleepy. Avoid trying to use your mobile phone as you drive. When on the highways, especially, even minor distractions can lead to a disastrous collision.
If you have been injured in a traffic accident in Miami Beach or another Florida community and believe that the accident was the result of negligence, contact the Flaxman Law Group. The Flaxman Law Group is a full-service law firm based in Southern Florida. The legal staff is pleased to offer a free case review for all new clients.