Each year, over 200 000 car accidents occur in Florida, some of them in Coral Gables and surrounding communities. While many are quite minor, some result in serious injuries. Some passengers become life-long spinal cord injury or head injury patients in Coral Gables or their communities, for example, never fully recovering from their injuries. Truck accidents involving passenger cars can be especially devastating. Due to the difference in size between commercial trucks and passenger cars, passenger car occupants involved in this type of crash are more likely to suffer serious or even fatal injuries.
If you have been injured in a truck or car accident in Coral Gables or any city in Florida, there are several steps you will want to take to preserve your rights:
1) Be prepared well before the accident. Well before you are in any accident, it is important to consider the steps you need to take to protect yourself and your family. Buy the safest car you can and keep in good shape – this may reduce your risk of some injuries. Wear a seatbelt each time you drive. Buy the best quality car insurance you can afford. Every few years, review your insurance to make sure your insurance plan still meets your current needs. In addition, have an accident kit in your car. Your kit should contain a blanket, first aid kit, pen and paper, a camera, a list of medical information and emergency contacts, emergency flares or cones, and a flashlight. If you are ever in an accident, this kit can be very useful.
2) If you are in an accident, stick to the facts. If the accident is not life threatening, move your car off to the side of the road. Call for help for anyone who is seriously injured and exchange information with the other driver. Avoid getting into a debate with the driver about what has happened or what has caused the accident.
3) Gather information. In addition to the contact information and vehicle information of anyone else involved in the truck crash, you may want to get contact information from possible witnesses. Get a copy of the police report and any medical records you can about your situation. Take photos of the accident scene if you can as well as photos of your damages and injuries.
4) Get medical attention, even if you do not have symptoms. This is especially important if the accident was serious or if you may have hit your head during the car collision. Some conditions do not present symptoms right away, and if you wait for treatment you may complicate the condition.
5) Call your insurance company soon after the accident. You will want to get the insurance process started.
6) Call a personal injury attorney. A personal injury attorney in Coral Gables or your community can review the situation with you and can help you understand whether you are entitled to damages from the accident. Many attorneys do not charge for a first consultation so you have nothing to lose from getting some legal advice about your situation.
A collision with a truck can affect your finances, physical health, and peace of mind for years to come. The Flaxman Law Group team of legal professionals understand this. If you need legal advice following a car accident or truck accident in South Florida, contact the Flaxman Law Group for a free consultation.